Health

Target pulled a brand of water beads from its shelves after a 10-month-old baby almost died from swallowing one

Retail giant Target has stopped selling the water beads that almost caused the death of a baby girl.

previously reported that Kennedy Mitchell, who is 10 months old, was given a 50% chance of survival after accidentally swallowing one of the beads made by Chuckle & Roar. Her mother, Folichia Mitchell, purchased them for her 9-year-old son, Joshua, at Target on October 24.

The mother described her shock when doctors said that a bead had caused a blockage in Kennedy’s bowel. The little girl has now had a total of five surgeries. She is still in the hospital.

“I couldn’t imagine how Kennedy, who was barely crawling, had managed to swallow one of the beads,” Mitchell told .

Target, which exclusively sold Chuckle & Roar’s water beads, said in a statement to Insider on Monday that it was “aware of this tragic situation.”

It added, “We have removed the product from stores and Target.com while we review the situation with the vendor.”

The chain told that it sends “heartfelt sympathy to this child and her family.” It said that it requires its “vendors to comply with all product safety standards, and all state, federal and local laws.”

Target pulled a brand of water beads from its shelves after a 10-month-old baby almost died from swallowing one
Folichia Mitchell was shocked to be told that her daughter’s critical condition was caused by a water bead 
Folichia Mitchell

The water beads that Mitchell bought for Joshua were made by the company Chuckle & Roar.

Mitchell reacted to Target’s action of removing the water beads in an email . “I’m very happy others can be safe and also sad because the damage to Kennedy is already done,” she wrote Monday.

She said in her earlier interview that she wanted to warn other parents about the risk of water beads to children such as Kennedy.

“Since we found the cause of her issues was from ingesting a bead, I’ve become angrier with the companies who make water beads,” she said.

The 29-year-old added, “The label says they should be used only by kids over 3. But the makers have got to add a warning that water beads could cause a blockage in the digestive system that could lead to death.”

In her email , Mitchell wrote that Target’s latest actions have given her, “a small sense of relief to know other families aren’t at risk of something so horrifying.”

When asked about other brands of water beads being sold online and in stores, Target said in an email that “we can confirm that Target is not removing additional water beads products and we’d refer all questions about the packaging to the manufacturer.”

Insider reached out to Chuckle & Roar for comment but didn’t immediately hear back.

Mitchell reached out to the kids toy brand before Target’s action on Monday, and the company replied in a statement. “We hope your daughter is OK,” it read. “We assure you that the product has passed all of its safety requirements.”

Smith

Tricare west is a global news publication that tells the stories you want to know.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button